Preface: The Resolutions of the Symposium on the Introduction of Contemporary Architecture into Ancient Groups of Buildings was adopted at The Third General Assembly of ICOMOS , Budapest, 27-28 June, 1972.
“Considering that groups of buildings of historical interest forma fundamental part of the human environment, that architecture is necessarily the expression of its age, that its development is continuous, and that its past, present and future expression must be treated as a whole, the harmony of which must be constantly preserved, and that any historical monument or complex of buildings possesses an intrinsic value independently of its initial role and significance which enables it to adapt itself to a changing cultural, social, economic and political context while fully retaining its structure and character.”
The Third General Assembly of ICOMOS , Budapest, 27-28 June, 1972
- The Resolutions outline principles for the harmonious introduction of contemporary architecture into groups of ancient buildings: the existing fabric of ancient buildings must be the framework for further development and town planning; contemporary architecture should be integrated into groups of ancient buildings and should not affect structural or aesthetic qualities of the ancient setting; authenticity is considered the basic criterion; imitations affecting artistic and historical value should be avoided.
- The revitalization of ancient buildings through new use is encouraged as long as structural integrity and character are not compromised.
Resolutions of the Symposium on the Introduction of Contemporary Architecture into Ancient Groups of Buildings (1972):
- Resolutions of the Symposium on the Introduction of Contemporary Architecture into Ancient Groups of Buildings (1972): http://www.icomos.org/en/charters-and-texts/180-articles-en-francais/chartes-et-normes/383-resolutions-of-the-symposium-on-the-introduction-of-contemporary-architecture-into-ancient-groups-of-buildings-at-the-3rd-icomos-general-assembly
- Resolutions of the Symposium on the Introduction of Contemporary Architecture into Ancient Groups of Buildings (1972): http://www.icomos.org/publications/93towns7e.pdf
- List of World Heritage Sites in China. http://orcp.hustoj.com/collections/world-heritage-list-china/
- Memory of the World in China. http://orcp.hustoj.com/collections/memory-of-the-world/
- Recommendation Concerning International Competitions in Architecture and Town Planning (1956). http://orcp.hustoj.com/2015/10/11/town-planning-1956/